Monday, September 20, 2010

Artist: Ryan McLennan

Communion, 36" x 62", 2007, Acrylic on Graphite


Condo, 64" x 62", 2007, Acrylic on Graphite


Expecting, 44" x 30", 2007, Acrylic on Graphite

Haul, 26" x 40", 2007, Acrylic on Graphite



Perimeter, 52" x 68", 2007, Acrylic on Graphite

Bio:
“Ryan McLennan was born in Norfolk, Virginia in 1980. In 2002 he received a BFA from the Painting and Printmaking Department of Virginia Commonwealth University. Since then he has exhibited work in Los Angeles, New York, Boston and Richmond, Virginia. He is a recipient of the 2008/2009 Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Fellowship and was featured in the 2008 Mid-Atlantic issue of New American Paintings. Ryan currently lives and works in Richmond, VA.”
http://joshualinergallery.com/artists/ryan_mclennan/

Relation to My Work:
I have been trying to look at artists working in different mediums, rather than photography. Upon finding the work of Ryan McLennan, I was instantly excited. His images of animals in a “new nature” are beautifully dark. I love, and can relate to, how minimal the prints are. The all white background and limited color palette draw me in. I am also trying to work with titles in my new work and find his use to be very successful. I was also excited to see that McLennan graduated from VCU in 2002 and to see how he has gone about creating work since.

Inspirational Quotes:

“Growing up I would spend all my time looking for animals and setting up environments in aquariums for lizards and turtles or whatever I could catch. This lasted until I got interested in more grownup things like skateboards and girls and drinking beer with my friends. At that point spending time outside really meant hiding in the woods and smoking. Now, even more grown up, I'm going back to my childhood ways. I spend a lot of time outside looking for snakes and turtles, I just don't bring them home like I used to.”

“The world I've created is a reflection of our own. The bears represent what is lacking in the environment; they embody the growth and wildness that we are losing. The birds and mammals are in charge of their future, they have to manage what resources they have without exhausting them.”


Interview:
http://www.fecalface.com/SF/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1112&Itemid=92

Artist Website:
http://www.ryanmclennan.com/

Gallery:
http://joshualinergallery.com/artists/ryan_mclennan/

1 comment:

  1. have you heard of Walton Ford? I saw his work in Berlin and I loved it. When I saw Ford's work it reminded me of Mclennan's work!

    http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/ford/index.html#

    ReplyDelete